A Diamond in the Rough​...

The
School

The Cornell School began as a single room schoolhouse in the early 20th century, serving the communities of Cornell and Agoura. Students arrived on foot, bicycle, and by horse along the main thoroughfare of Mulholland Highway.

Two things happened in the 1940’s that impacted the future of Cornell School and the other three local single room schoolhouses. First, when the Baby Boom began to hit the area, the small schools simply could not handle the overflow of students. Next, Las Virgenes Union Elementary District was formed in 1947 and the four single room schoolhouses were combined into one larger school. It may have marked the end of an era, but Cornell School lived on.

Cornell School was then converted into a residence where owners Millie and Kim Coffin lived for the next 50 years. During that time the school saw many changes. The hardwood floors were covered with linoleum, every layer representing the fashion of the decade. Faux wood paneling concealed rotting plaster walls, and some areas of the house boasted paint a dozen colors thick. Electricity and plumbing were introduced, but still primitive by today’s standards.

When the Cornell School was put on the market in 1998, it was viewed by most as beyond all repair. And then Eric and Mary came along…
Cornell Schoolhouse students in 1935 (above) 
and 1938 (below)